The East Scarborough Storefront (The Storefront) uses the power of collaboration to support people and build community in the inner suburban neighbourhood of Kingston Galloway/ Orton Park (KGO). We believe that community matters. We also believe it takes collective community responses to address complex community based and social issues.
The Storefront helps networks of residents, social service organizations, academic institutions, businesses, planners and architects engage in meaningful discussions, run programs, organize events, share learning and participate in many activities, effectively and collectively.
The Storefront’s model and approach allows:
- residents to find the services they need. Thirty-five organizations bring social services like legal advice, youth groups and settlement services to the neighbourhood through our service delivery hub
- residents to run their own events, volunteer throughout the community and engage in civic action
- residents to connect with local employment and economic opportunities;
- businesses to tackle issues of economic viability for both individual enterprises and for the KGO community
- the nurturing of innovative initiatives throughout the neighbourhood. We connect institutions like the University of Toronto Scarborough and professions like architecture to the myriad of activities designed to increase resident voices, knowledge and opportunity in KGO
The Storefront has won numerous awards for its innovative and ground-breaking approach to community development, and is a recognized leader in grassroots neighbourhood transformation.